Monday 27 June 2011

How will I wear my baby today?

Who'd have thought that becoming a mum would be like turning 18 again? (And by that I don't mean a license to consume as much alcohol as possible, although.....). Since becoming a mum, I've once again started obsessing about fashion statements - what I wear, how I wear it, and what that says about me. It's always about me.


But we're not talking clothes. No. This fashion paranoia is related to how I wear my baby. Wear your baby? (I hear you cry) You can't wear your baby! Oh yes I can. And I do.


She's the ultimate fashion accessory and how I wear her, will determine how you judge me. Oh and I know you will.......


Let's take an average day. First outing, trip to a country park. I want people to know I'm a rural mum, at one with nature and my child, strong, fit and healthy. Better choose the tie -on (absolutely NO clips or fastenings), wraparound, organic cotton baby sling. Perfect with floaty dress (baby), hiking boots (me) and floppy sun hats (matching).






Now off to town for some retail therapy and maybe a visit to work. Sling goes back in the cupboard, I'm after the urban look. Professional, chic and not a farm in sight. Better clean up the Phil & Teds, don't want any trace of mud on the wheels. I'll wear the baby sitting up front (not hidden in the back) in best coat and those ever-so-cute shoes with animals on the soles.


Finally, meeting husband after work for a stroll down the pub. Sling again definitely, but as Daddy will be carrying, then I can't have him looking all hippy-ish in the tie-up job. Out comes the modern, man-about-town baby carrier. Black, clean lines, simple clip fastenings. Perfect. What a couple!


Three different situations, three different ways to wear your baby, three different mums. I'd like to say that I'm confident and assured enough to pick one and stick with it, I mean who cares what kind of mum people think I am? But I'm not. And anyway, I can't decide.


So until I do, I'll carry on stressing about how I will wear my baby today. It won't be long until she refuses to be seen anywhere near a high street with me, so I'm making the most of it.


Ps how do you wear yours???

2 comments:

  1. Ha!! The only time I actually wore either of mine were when they were actually still on the inside. I bought two different kinds of harness and they were so complex to strap on whilst in my befuddled post-birth brain that I wore neither.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dilemma was does baby's outfit match mine?!!

    ReplyDelete