Sunday 5 August 2012

Gold medal mojo

The Olympics, they make me feel 13 again.

I can’t sit and watch every minute of every hour like I did then, but it turns out that my thirty-something self is still capable of forming Bieber-esque crushes that turn me into a squealing mess, leaving me searching the internet for hours for glimpses of my heroes.

I’ve got a girl crushes on Rebecca Adlington and Gemma Gibbons. A big brother crush on Bradley Wiggins and a poster boy crush on Mark Cavendish (phwoar). I want to invite Mo Farah for tea and I’ve got a growing ginger obsession with Greg Rutherford.

And after four Olympics I still desperately hope to marry Ben Ainslie.

I spend my evenings sobbing with joy and my sleeping hours dreaming of relationships I will never have.

I'm out cycling with the wind in my hair, enjoying the sunshine, looking stylish in lycra (is that even possible?). When I hear the whirr of the wheels behind me, feel someone coming up close, almost feel the breath on my neck. It’s Cav.....that cheeky boyish smile and mean determined stare....... We lock eyes....

.......and the alarm goes off, I change my baby's nappy and head off to work at the council.

You get the gist. After a summer of sport, we’ve all got a spring in our step, we’re proud to be British. And thanks to the poster boys I’ve got my Mojo back. :-)

mmmmmmm Cav.....


(And when I grow up I want to be Clare Balding, with Denise Lewis's body. That's all.)

3 comments:

  1. Read out loud to Jonathan and we both hooted with laughter. Think j feels the same way - about both Cavendish AND Wiggins...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So that's his man crush, what's yours? (husband just asked if this means I want him to dress in cycling gear from now on, not sure how to answer that!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could be Jake Humphrey with Denise Lewis's body and I'd still have a go - #justsaying

    ReplyDelete